Want to know the hard truth? 80% of the health equation is what you put in your mouth. 80%!
10% is genetics and 10% exercise. (Tosca Reno)
That's shocking! To put it in perspective, I recently ran about nine miles burning roughly 900 calories... It was an investment of an hour of my day and I could have more than replaced those calories with just two large pieces of Pizza Hut Meat Lovers pizza! Now I am not knocking Pizza Hut or pizza in general, you can still enjoy your favorite foods while eating clean, but making smart food choices is critical to having long and short term success. In fact, here is a GREAT pizza recipe that is clean.
I have had so many questions about the basics of eating clean so here are some really good rules of thumb from Tosca's book: The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged!
1. Eat six small meals a day - every 2.5 - 3 hours.
2. Eat breakfast every day within an hour of rising.
3. Eat a combination of lean proteins and complex carbohydrates at each meal.
4. Eat two or three healthy fats every day.
5. Drink two or three liters of water a day.
6. Carry a cooler of clean foods every day.
7. Limit starchy complex carbs to 2 - 4 a day.
8. Adhere to proper portion sizes.
Protein - palm of your hand
Starchy Carbs - what can fit into one cupped hand
Complex Carbs from fruits and vegetables - what can fit into two cupped hands
Healthy Fats - one scant handful of nuts, 1 - 2 TBSP of oils
Happy Eating Clean!