The Gift of Friendships and Food!

“Three things are needed for a good life, good friends, good food, and good song.” -Jason Zebehazy quotes

Two out of three for this post isn't half bad!  I am blessed to have so many amazing friendships!  A lot of my friends also share my passion for healthy living and they push me as training partners in addition to being blessings in my everyday life.

My good friend Casey has been a life saver lately!  Going on 60 minute runs, bringing me to her gym for a much needed Christmas Eve workout, letting me pick crazy new workouts to try at the Common Ground, and being an amazing support system for me and for my daughters! 

In gratitude, I wanted to make her a delicious, clean lunch that would give her loads of energy for her afternoon workout!  I made a pita pizza with tofu, greens, and light cheeses.  For about 220 calories we both had a delicious and savory meal just in time for her to dash off for a brutal cardio session! 

Here is a picture of the pizza I made - we each got one and below is the recipe to make one for you and your good friend! 
Pizza Per Dos
1/2 Cup Organic Tomato Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon organic pepper flakes
2 - 3 medium garlic cloves minced
2 whole wheat sprouted wheat or gluten free pitas
1 cup loosely packed spinach
2 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
2 tbs minced basil leaves
1/2 cup broccoli
1/2 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup cubed cooked tofu (turkey or chicken work here too!)

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
Dice the tofu and place in a lightly greased skillet
In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Mix well.
Place both pitas on a baking sheet, using a brush or a spoon evenly distribute sauce mixture between the pitas leaving 1/4 of an inch border around the edges.  Sprinkle with spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, tofu and top with cheese.
Bake 8  - 10 minutes until greens are wilted and cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the basil. 
Serve immediately.

Note: You can top your pizza with whatever ingredients you enjoy!  Use your imagination and include veggies and lean proteins for flavor and variety.  If you are just eating one then wrap the other in aluminum foil or resealable container for up to two days in the fridge.  Reheat in a warm oven or serve at room temperature. 

Comments

Popular Posts