Bahama Mama Tacos with Pineapple Salsa

The best thing about blogging about food is when my awesome family and friends send me their favorite clean recipes to try!   This one caught my eye immediately and I had to share! Inspired by the islands and in anticipation for an upcoming vacation to Florida, I can't wait to try this one out!  First of all,  I love tacos.  LOVE them.  Lately, I've switched to a corn tortillas exclusively because they are less processed but for those of you with a gluten intolerance they are also perfect for your dietary needs in place of whole wheat tortillas.  This recipe came to me from my good friend Heather, an active mom of two who loves to cook and always has inspired and delicious recipes to share. I plan on having this meal on my dinner table in short order!  I'll even grill in my flip flops tonight in the impending snow storm to get the vibe right!  Thanks, Heather!

Bahama Mama Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
12 soft whole-wheat or whole-grain tortillas (Go Gluten free with corn tortillas)
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder plus 1 pinch, divided
1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
1 pound organic flank steak beef, trimmed of fat (leaner alternative would be ground turkey or chicken)
1 organic pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
1 organic red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup minced red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh organic cilantro
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Preparation

1. Preheat grill to high. Stack tortillas and wrap in heavy-duty foil.
Combine oil, 1 teaspoon chipotle powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small dish. Rub mixture into both sides of steak. Place the tortilla stack on the coolest part of the grill or upper warming rack, if possible, and heat, flipping once, until warmed through and very pliable.
2. Meanwhile, grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium, or until desired doneness. Grill pineapple rings until moderately charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the tortillas, steak, and pineapple from the grill. Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing very thinly crosswise into strips.

3. Meanwhile, dice the pineapple and transfer to a medium bowl. Add bell pepper, garlic, onions, cilantro, vinegar, lime juice, the remaining pinch of chipotle powder, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to combine. Serve the sliced steak in the warm tortillas with the pineapple salsa.
Makes 6 servings.

Comments

Popular Posts