Kick You in the Face Clean Pancakes

I have an obsession with pancakes.  Making them, eating them, creating new recipes... it's far and away one of my favorite comfort foods.  Pancakes have become somewhat infamous with my circle of friends and family. Notably, my three-year-old once threatened our beautiful Golden Retriever, Molly that she would, “Kick you in the face if you take my pancakes.” Rather than assume my little one had emerging anger issues I decided to assume that my pancakes were just THAT good, a person would resort to violence to protect them. Thus, “Kick you in the face pancakes” they became!

My classic recipe is below, but I switched it up this week to add some quality calories since my training hours are ramping up.  This morning for my single serving I added: 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein.




Carrie’s Classic Kick you in the Face Pancakes
Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour (hey gluten free eaters, sub some oat flour here and you are in the clear)
2 1/2 cups organic skim or soy milk
1 whole egg
3 egg whites
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbsp flaxseed
1 tsp. organic cinnamon
2 Tbsp wheat germ (leave out if you are gluten free)
1 tsp. honey or agave nectar
2 tbsp sweet potato puree and/or 2 tbsp carrot puree (I use baby food)
Non-stick organic olive oil spray (for the skillet or griddle)
Some Optional Ingredients (items I add directly to the batter alone, in combinations, or as toppings:
1/4 cup blueberries (or any berries)
1 banana sliced (great ingredient combined with the dark chocolate or slivered almonds!)
1/4 cup dark chocolate pieces
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup almonds/dried fruit mix
1/4 cup granola
1 tbsp nonfat greek yogurt (as a topping with berries)
(You are seeing the trend here, pancakes can be a veritable gold mine for anything you have in your fridge or pantry)

Directions
Step 1 – Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl careful to remove any lumps.

Step 2 – Ladle the batter onto a skillet or griddle (that’s been preheated) and with the olive oil spray between each batch. Keep the heat at medium to medium high. Using high heat will burn the pancakes before they are cooked through. Pancakes are ready to flip when the edges are bubbling.

Step 3 – Cook until they are cooked through and serve, topped with sugar free syrup or honey.  I also like organic strawberrys pureed and put on top. 

Enjoy and just try to refrain from kicking someone in the face!

Comments

  1. YOU ROCK! I am TOTALLY making these this week -- can't wait! You continue to motivate, inspire and encourage, Carrie -- thanks so much! You are amazing! (I did 60 minutes of Fartleks last night -- I feel INCREDIBLE today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a thought, but my wife will add a Tbsp of cider vineager to the milk and set it aside for about 5 minutes. The vineager will start to sour the milk and cause it to bubble. Then when you add it to the mixture you get extra fluffy pancakes. Not sure if it will work with soy or almond milk but hey like you say, why not experiment. Thanks for the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried adding vineager to the milk before adding the milk? My wife does this for our pancakes and it makes them extremely light and fluffy. Not sure how it would work with soy or almond milk, but all in the name of trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that idea!!! I will have to try it out with my next batch of pancakes... I sometimes separate out my egg whites and fluff them before I add them and that helps make them light and fully too! Keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts