Above Me

“If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you”
Henry Rollins

franMy running and training lately has taken on a new dimension. One that’s not singular in nature.  So often in a sport that consists of simply putting one foot in front of the other we find ourselves becoming enveloped in self discovery, self reflection, self EVERYTHING. It’s finishing MY race, getting inside MY head, getting MY time, telling MY stories.  But, my stories aren’t what compels me these days.

I want to tell you the stories of my baby girls, like how the the other day while watching TV I caught my four year old Cate doing sit-ups.  When I asked her what she was doing she said simply, “abs.”  Or that she runs, everywhere, and joyfully asks me to race or simply invites me to chase her.  Or how my older daughter scored three goals in back to back soccer games earning her the nickname “hat trick” and how our time in the backyard has given me a new appreciation for her drive and her commitment to getting better.  Finding her own identity as an athlete.311967_550757311508_73701423_31249778_903838762_n

It’s my best friend Margaret who went and crewed for two friends in a Triple and Double Ironman event, easily pacing over 40 miles – not one of which was leading her towards her own finish line. 

I want to tell you about my new friends Irene and Lenny who finished their first races in Staten Island after six months of work and of effort in the making and Irene’s daughter watching her mom cross a finish line and earning more than a medal that morning.

Or how my training partner and best friend Casey has returned from back to back injuries and is hitting two a day training sessions and that glow is starting to come back in her smile, in her laugh.  Finding herself again.  My friend Chris who’s devastating neck injury keeps him from the workouts but not the people he loves in his CrossFit gym. 

It’s my sister who runs despite pain, discomfort, four kids, full-time schooling, and still finds time to call and ask about my day.  It’s my mom who never misses a workout despite shin injuries and constant demands and forever taking care of others.  She’s never let anyone down in her life.  She’s who I hope to make proud.  It’s my dad

canucksIt’s Brent, Alyssa, Shannon, Chris, Mike, Jenny, Katy, Maurya, Monica, Kim, Leyla, Lynn, Todd, Jeff, Ryan, Mike, Keith, Shonda, Rachel, Rodorigo, Sammy, Niki, Shawn, Tom, Angela, David, Wendy, Kat, Brynn, Sarah, Kristina.  It’s so many more I don’t have room to write.  It’s a reminder that I have so much to be thankful for.

I’m given so much, shown so much, reminded so often that it’s so very much NOT about me.  It’s about THEM. I’m just lucky to have a front row seat. 

Comments

  1. Carrie, such a great post, it's hard sometimes to forget it's not about the "ME" factor. You put it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing Carrie, you truly inspire me! I'll never forget how you took time out of your busy day before the SI super spartan to talk to me and the others! I could of listened to your stories forever! I signed up for vermonts beast 2012 and dedicating myself to get in top shape for the next 344 days( yes I already have the countdown going!) hope to meet you again!
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. "not one of which was leading her towards her own finish line." This is part of my everyday with my 5 kids and dealing with their "differences" ; thank you for a moving, relevant post. This is a nice companion to Margaret's "Tough" post. You both are realizing and embracing your journeys. That, dear ladies, is STRENGTH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "not one of which was leading her towards her own finish line." This is part of my everyday with my 5 kids and dealing with their "differences" ; thank you for a moving, relevant post. This is a nice companion to Margaret's "tough" post. You both are realizing and embracing your journeys. That, dear ladies, is STRENGTH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Carrie, who even though we've never met, makes we feel like we've been friends forever. I can always count on an positive and hilarious comment on a new pic or workout post that always makes me smile and want to go back out and do it again twice as hard to make her even more proud that she can count me as a friend!! You inspire me daily and even though I don't have any aspirations of having kids, if I wanted to be a mom my mother and you Shawty are exactly who I'd dream of being as a parent. You're constant gorgeous smile is beyond contagious and as I can be a grump sometimes that smile of yours reminds me to lighten up and a enjoy each day a little more for what it is! You and Margaret invited and welcomed me into this world of Chicks and Mafiosos and oh god everything else we consider ourselves and my life has never better and I will never be the same!!! Love all the chicks but you Carrie Adams are the glue that's keeps us together and wheels that keep us rolling!! Love you girl!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy goosebumps you punk!!

    And Sammy couldn't have said it better!!!

    Please read my comment on your efffff blog because I wrote that before I read this and I am not good with words today and it will always apply to whatever you write (: Hows THAT for a run on sentence!
    <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts