Better Every Day

I don't have talent, I have tenacity. I have discipline. I have focus.  And I know without any illusion where I come from..." - Henry Rollins

So, I'm a noob and at 31 years old, that's a hard pill to swallow.  I'm not used that place but I know it to be true.  I two months old at my CrossFit box, CrossFit Omaha, an incredibly well-respected CF box.  I teach mat Pilates there to the community but as part of the gig and becoming part of the staff and complimenting the incredible CFO programming, I also wanted to JOIN and take group classes.  

When I arrived at CFO I was an unknown outside of a few members.  Sure, I'd seen the inside of a lot of gyms and run a lot of gnarly races but that was largely unknown.  I was used to something altogether different if I'm honest and having to prove myself was something that I embraced.   
My Pilates background is solid and I'm confident in what I teach and how I approach the practice.  I believe whole-heatedly that it is a perfect fit for this forward thinking community and I love getting the chance to share Pilates with such a goal-oriented group. 
As a teacher, it's been a great experience.  The students who have come are learning and growing.  I see it every time they come and that is why I teach.  I continue to push myself to find new ways to challenge as an instructor as I engage the community.  There is so much that can be done and I believe I am the person to make it happen.

Inside the community as a new athlete I am still finding my place and learning my form.  As an individual, I wasn't a stranger to training and competition by any stretch, although I imagine the perception by those I was joining in class was that I was a "Pilates Instructor" and "just another runner" and that brings with it a lot of assumptions.  Assumptions I'm attempting to dispel one WOD at a time. And I want to earn respect. That is how it should be.  And I'll put in the time, I'll give the effort, I'll never settle.

Fact: I have so much to learn.  I do.  There are no illusions here. I have a lot of work to do.  But I'll say this for as long as my body can move.  I'll never know enough, I'll never feel comfortable, and I'll never feel like I've arrived in anything that I do.

I would also like to think that I have something to offer.  And I'll work for that too.  I just want what everyone wants... to be better every day.  

Comments

  1. Can you be 'good enough' and have that image include potential and ongoing growth?

    Im just saying because it was the constant need to impress and prove myself against CrossFit, which never, ever allows anyone to be good enough, that led me to injure myself and leave. At some point I had to accept who I was and understand that proving myself to crossfits definition of 'good' was only going to hurt me.

    That said, I loved the community and if you've got a supportive gym, that makes a big difference. You've got what it takes to excel in Crossfit judging by your experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts